Hunting accident 1987

In 1987 LeMond went hunting on April 20 with his uncle and brother in law Pat Blades. Without knowing Greg was hiding in the bushes, Pat shot him by accident with his shotgun, thinking he saw an animal. Far away from home and a town, Greg was almost dying, losing a lot of blood and having a collapsed longue. After trying to get help by a cell phone he was finally flown to the hospital from a rural hunting site about 100 miles east of San Francisco after sustaining a wound to his right side and back. Dr. Sandy Beal, one of three surgeons operated Greg for more than 2 hours. They couldn't remove all 60 shotgun pellets from his body because the risk was to high. Greg now still has 40 pellets in his body.

5 comments:

martha said...

Hi, I can't find contact information on your blog, I was wondering if you have a source for this photograph - of LeMond in the hospital bed. Thank you!

Thierry said...

Hi Martha. This picture was published in several magazines and books. Other pictures of the hospital too. One of the books is "Greg LeMond ou le mythe Americain", a french book about Greg's career.

martha said...

Great! Thanks so much.

Anonymous said...

Hello
I am researcher working on an ESPN film about Greg and the 1986 & 89 Tours. I wonder if you still have the source of the red hospital scan? I am happy to pursue a better resolution of it.
Paul Gardner, London

Thierry said...

I can do that but then I need your email so I can contact you and send it.